Sunday, December 30, 2007

Full Initiation

I keep my son's hair pretty short. He is only 13 months old, and I have already buzzed his head about 6 times. Yesterday was haircut day. After I buzzed my son's hair, my daughter decided that it was her turn to have a hair cut, which was fine. I had cut her hair about 3 weeks ago, so I decided to keep her happy I would cut layers into her hair. It turned out really pretty. She has some natural curl that just bounced and was fun. Then, it was bedtime. In my haste to get the kids in bed and have a couple of minutes to myself so I could finish off the dishes, I neglected to put the hair cutting kit away in the closet. My mistake.

We put the kids to bed, and I went downstairs to finish my chores so that I wouldn't have a huge pile of dishes and dirty counters when I got up in the morning. Over the flow of the water some 10 or so minutes later, I hear my son hollering. I run upstairs to find out why he is having problems, and lo-and-behold...Evie has the hair cutting kit on her lap, the scissors in one hand and a big chunk of hair in her other hand.

My first reaction was one of surging anger...and I crossed the room quickly. In my 4 steps across the room, however, I reminded myself 2 things: 1- it was only hair, after all, and 2- I was the one who left the hair cutting kit out in the first place. My daughter is very curious and mischevious. She loves to explore her world and learn things for herself- which is great, however it usually leaves me with several messes to clean up after she is done exploring. She had taken several whacks out of her hair by her right ear, which makes sense because she is left-handed. Considering that she is only 3, she is pretty coordinated. A good thing, too, otherwise I would have had Van Gogh as my daughter!

I didn't yell too loudly, but my hubby came rushing down to find out what the matter was. He got the supreme priviledge of holding Evie on his lap as I had to cut off all her hair. Her hair grows really slow, and finally, at the age of 3, she had a nice head of thickening, shoulder-length hair. It has taken her whole life to get it to the place it was before she cut it off. Now, she has a very, very short bob hair cut. One side is still a little shorter than the other, but I opted for a slight lopsidedness for a while instead of having to cut her hair even shorter.

Here is a picture of Evie, pre-hair cut:
Here is a picture of Evie, POST- hair cut:


She is still beautiful, but it really does change the shape of her face. Hum...new rule: Scissors only cut paper!

No comments: